Delicious and easy to make variation of the bland holiday favorite. Green beans in a creamy white wine sauce with bacon and mozzarella cheese. Warning: They'll make you bring it every year!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole green beans, thawed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup canned French fried onions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Fry bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. Drain most of the bacon grease from the pan, and place over medium heat. Add the onions and bell pepper; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the wine, scraping all of the bits of bacon from the bottom of the pan.
Mix in the butter, milk, soup, and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the green beans and bacon until evenly coated. Fold in cheese, then transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with French fried onions.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through, and sauce is bubbly.