This hearty soup recipe using a slow cooker combines mixed dried beans with tomato sauce, chopped carrots, celery and low fat smoked sausage seasoned with onion powder and minced garlic.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry mixed beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 16 ounces smoked turkey sausage, diced
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
Soak bean mix in water overnight.
Place drained soaked beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes and chilies, celery, carrots and sausage in slow cooker. Add enough water to cover all ingredients and season soup to taste with salt, pepper, chicken seasoning, onion powder, and garlic. Simmer on low for 8 to 10 hours until beans are tender.