This chicken stew inspired by the flavors of Mexico combines leftover chicken meat with hominy, pinto beans and green chilies in chicken stock seasoned with oregano and chili powder.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
Place chicken, onion, tomatoes, hominy, undrained pinto beans, green chili peppers, oregano, chili powder and pepper into a slow cooker. Add enough chicken broth to cover ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours. An hour prior to serving add potato flakes and let thicken.