Traditionally Southwestern spices, like cumin and cilantro, lend a distinctive note to this crunchy bean dip. Corn kernels and chopped onion add a special crunch.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mild picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Place black beans in a medium size mixing bowl, partially mash beans -- beans should remain a little chunky.
In a medium size frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
Mix beans, corn, tomato, picante sauce, cumin, and chili powder into the frying pan; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat, mix in cheese, cilantro and lime juice; stir until cheese is melted.