A puree of potatoes boiled in chicken broth is added to a saute of mixed peppers, chilies, and ham in this spicy soup cooked with heavy cream and egg yolk. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 ounces chopped ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chile peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and reserve.
In a skillet, saute onion, green and red pepper in butter for 10 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the ham, green chilies, white pepper and cayenne. Cook for 1 minute longer. Reserve.
In a blender, combine the potatoes and chicken broth and blend until smooth. Add to the sauteed vegetable mixture.
Heat soup just to boiling. Beat the egg yolk with the heavy cream in a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup hot soup, stir yolk mixture back into sauce pan. Gently heat soup, but do not boil. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.