This is a hearty, filling meal - A variation on the Classic, using spicy tomatoes with green chiles, and ranch-style beans. There's only one pot to clean up!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup converted long-grain white rice
- 4 ounces smoked sausage, cut into slices
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch-style beans, undrained
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, green pepper and celery, until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook another minute. Add rice, sausage and ham. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, to coat the rice with oil, stirring frequently. Pour in tomatoes with green chiles and chicken broth. Season with thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the beans, mix well and heat through.