Ground beef, tomatoes, canned pinto and kidney beans are combined in this cumin and oregano seasoned chili recipe which is thickened with cornmeal.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, red bell pepper and ground beef and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned. Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano and bay leaf and saute for 2 to 3 more minutes.
Then add the chicken broth and the tomatoes, mix well and cook for 30 minutes. Add the pinto beans and kidney beans and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Finally, add the cornmeal, stirring well, until the chili thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.