Spicy okra gumbo like grandma's made with bacon and chicken. Lots of okra and fresh cayenne peppers make this dish special.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen cut okra
- 10 fresh cayenne peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
Place bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook until evenly browned, then add onion, chicken cubes and okra. Cook, stirring, until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in cayenne peppers, tomatoes, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Add rice and water, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.