Most of the fat in this recipe is monounsaturated, which reduces LDL, or 'bad' cholesterol.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound lean boneless pork chops
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package broccoli slaw mix
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
PROCESS pork in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
SAUTE pork in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and cool.
COMBINE pork, cilantro, and next 7 ingredients.
STIR together vinegar, soy sauce, and olive oil. Drizzle over slaw, tossing to coat. Top with pork mixture; serve with cucumber slices, and if desired, rice. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.