This is a spicy Thai variety on our favorite pumpkin soup. You can make it mild spicy or hot spicy by using different types of chilies. Instead of the traditional sour cream, this recipe uses coconut cream. Quick 'n' easy!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 small fresh red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass
- 2 1/8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over low heat. Cook garlic, shallots, chilies, and lemongrass in oil until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic). Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin; bring to a boil. Cook until pumpkin softens.
In a blender, blend the soup in batches to a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, whatever you prefer. Serve with basil leaves.