Fresh tuna is marinated in a sweet marinade of fish sauce, lime juice, and honey, stir-fried, and then tossed with garden fresh tomatoes, basil, and cilantro. A small, red chile pepper adds spice to this warm tuna salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh tuna steaks, cubed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
In a small bowl, mix together fish sauce, lime juice, and honey. Place tuna in a large, plastic, resealable bag, and pour fish sauce mixture over the tuna. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a wok over high heat. When the oil is very hot, almost smoking, place 1/2 tuna in pan; cook and stir for 1 minute, or until desired doneness. Transfer cooked fish to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and tuna.
Toss warm fish with tomatoes, green onion, red chile pepper, cilantro, and basil. Serve.