This recipe has been handed down from my grandmother. It is saved for special occasions at our house. Rich and creamy seafood over rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound scallops
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 pound shelled cooked cocktail shrimp
- 1/4 pound imitation crabmeat
In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and saute until tender. Mix in the scallops, and cook just until opaque. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and slowly whisk in the flour to form a golden brown paste. Gradually whisk in the milk, and stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.
Mix the tomato paste, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the saucepan. Slowly stir in the Gruyere cheese until melted. Mix in the mushrooms, scallops, shrimp, and crab, and continue cooking until heated through. Serve over the cooked rice.