Fresh roma tomatoes are gently simmered with zucchini, green and red bell pepper, mushrooms and herbs. The addition of ricotta cheese, just before serving, makes the sauce nice and rich.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 18 roma (plum) tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Remove skins and return tomatoes to the pot and mash them. Stir in tomato paste and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer on low heat.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and bay leaves for 1 minute, then stir in onions; saute until onions are translucent. Stir in zucchini, green and red bell pepper and mushrooms. Slowly cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir vegetables into tomato sauce and add oregano, Italian seasoning, chili powder and brown sugar. Simmer over low heat for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in the ricotta cheese 10 minutes before serving.