A refreshing summer slaw that blends the flavor of peaches, savoy cabbage, red bell peppers, and pecans. I first enjoyed this slaw at a garden party in Charleston several years ago and have served it each summer since to the delight of family and friends.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 head savoy cabbage, sliced
- 8 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1/2 cup fresh peaches, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh mint sprigs
Place the pecan pieces in a skillet over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted.
In a large bowl, mix the pecans, cabbage, 8 fresh peaches, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green onions, and celery seed. Cover and chill 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
In a blender or food processor, blend the 1/2 cup chopped peaches until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, and mix with the oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Chill until slaw is ready to be served, then toss with slaw to coat. Garnish slaw with mint sprigs.