This is a simple yet tangy recipe for a traditional green bean, wax bean and kidney bean salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can wax beans, drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, mustard, water and vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, onion and green pepper. Pour the cooled dressing over all and toss to coat. Best if marinated for at least an hour before serving. Yummy!