These bars are delicious. A crunchy oat and brown sugar crust is covered with a sweet caramel layer and topped off with chocolate. What more do you need?
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Additional chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheated oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan. In large mixing bowl, combine 6 tablespoons margarine, oats, sugar, flour, 1/2 cup walnuts (optional) and baking soda. Press firmly on bottom of pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and EAGLE BRAND®. Cook and stir until mixture thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour evenly over baked crust. Return to oven; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle chips on top. Let stand 1 minute; spread while still warm. Garnish with additional walnuts; press down firmly. Cool. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature.