If you are a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish, yet still have that hankering for a juicy fish sandwich, these bread crumb-crusted tofu 'fish' sandwiches will blow your mind!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu - drained, patted dry, and sliced into 4 slices
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kelp powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, as needed
- Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a bowl, toss bread crumbs together with kelp powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and salt. Dip tofu slices into olive oil, then bread crumb mixture, patting lightly to coat well.
Bake on a cookie sheet in preheated oven for 30 minutes. When first side is golden brown and slightly crispy, turn over, and finish baking.
Meanwhile, mix together mayonnaise, relish, and lemon juice until well-blended. When tofu is nearly done baking, brush each bun half with olive oil, and toast in the oven. Serve with tartar sauce and your favorite sandwich condiments.