Chunks of tofu are cooked with vegetables in a thick wine and tomato sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 2 (8 ounce) containers firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute onion, shallot, and garlic until lightly browned.
Stir in tomato paste. Pour in the wine, and stir, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil, and cook about 1 minute. Mix in soy sauce, bay leaf, and thyme. Reduce heat to low, and place tofu, tomato, and mushrooms into the mixture. Cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce is thickened.