Coconut milk and lime juice seasoned with ginger root and cayenne pepper create a spicy broth for this Thai-inspired soup with strips of white chicken, cilantro and chopped scallions.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Cut chicken into thin strips and saute in oil for to 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken turns white.
In a pot, bring coconut milk and water to a boil. Reduce heat. Add ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne powder and turmeric. Simmer until the chicken is done, 10 to 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with scallions and fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot.