There are fennel seeds sprinkled into the nippy tarragon/mustard vinaigrette, and slivers of raw fennel mixed in with the tomatoes and watercress in this salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups trimmed and coarsely chopped watercress
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 large tomatoes
Whisk together the vinegar, tarragon, mustard, fennel seed and olive oil.
Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick wedges. In a large salad bowl, combine the watercress, fennel and tomatoes. Toss with vinaigrette to coat, season with salt and pepper and serve.