Nothing could be easier than putting together this hearty soup with seasoned garbanzo beans, rice, and tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
Place the diced tomatoes with juice and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. Mix in the rice and carrots, and season with cumin, chili powder, red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until rice and carrots are tender.
Mix the garbanzo beans into the pot, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until heated through.