This is a sauce my cousin's mother-in-law made. I had it for the first time 5 1/2 years ago and haven't made anything else since.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces white wine
- 2 (46 fluid ounce) cans tomato juice
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned. Season with allspice, cloves and cayenne. Stir in wine, and cook until liquid is reduced. Add tomato juice, tomato paste and sugar. Season with oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 90 minutes, or until thickened.