Delish mackerel salad in a yummy fresh tomato and basil sauce and served on a bed of lettuce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 (15 ounce) can mackerel fillets, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head soft lettuce (Boston, Bibb or mixed baby greens)
Place mackerel in a mixing bowl, and break into small chunks. Mix in garlic, tomato paste, and oil. Season with basil and salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Serve mixture on a bed of lettuce leaves.