This thick, rich blend of rice, spinach, potatoes, and tomatoes makes a filling, delicious meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 unpeeled potatoes, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can whole leaf spinach, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a large saucepan, mix the water, rice, potatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in basil, sugar, salt, and bay leaves. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and rice are tender but firm.
Mix spinach, stewed tomatoes, and lemon juice into the saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice has finished cooking and the mixture has thickened.