This hearty tomato soup has chunks of vegetables and pasta. Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich. Just right for a cold weather lunch or supper.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 cups water
- 3 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
In a large pot, mix the tomato sauce, water, vegetable bouillon, bay leaf, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper, and hot red pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer at least 30 minutes.
Stir in the celery, carrots, zucchini, and corn. Cover, and continue to simmer 30 minutes.
Stir ditalini pasta into the pot, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.