I make this salad using fresh tomatoes from my garden. The key is to let it marinate and chill for the flavors to blend.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper, and celery. Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl, and pour over the salad. Gently toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.