An extra spicy apple pie that uses every spice in the cabinet - cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, allspice, and cloves.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 4 cups tart apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
Roll one ball of dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place bottom crust in pie plate. Roll out top crust and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, white sugar, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, allspice and cloves. Mix well and pour into pie shell. Dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle top with turbinado sugar.
Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Baking pie is a rather straightforward technique, but a few tips can only help to make your pies come out looking and tasting perfect!