Chopped peppers, cilantro and corn are added to this chicken and rice soup seasoned with cumin and cayenne pepper. Serve with crushed tortilla chips and crumbled asedero cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 quarts water
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- salt to taste
Place chicken and water in a stockpot, and add onion, celery, and garlic. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove chicken from broth, and set aside to cool. Skim off fat. Smash cooked garlic cloves against side of pot. Add undrained tomatoes, carrots, cumin, cayenne pepper, white pepper, and bouillon cube to the broth. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Add corn, green onion, and cilantro. Simmer 10 minutes longer.
Skin and bone chicken, then dice or shred into bite-size pieces. Add chicken to soup along with cooked rice. Heat through. Season with salt to taste. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with cheese and tortilla chips.