Sauteed ground beef and onions are added to a spicy chicken broth seasoned with cumin, chili powder and cayenne in this recipe which uses canned cream corn, processed cheese, and corn tortilla strips.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 6 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
- 5 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine the ground beef and onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain excess fat and set meat aside.
In a large pot over high heat, combine the broth, tomatoes, cumin and garlic. Add the cayenne pepper, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water, stirring well until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add slowly to the soup, stirring constantly, to thicken.
Add the reserved meat, corn and cheese to the soup and stir well. Finally, add the tortilla strips and allow to heat through.