A mixture of ground beef, ground pork, carrot, celery, potato for the savory wedded with spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves for the sweet - meet a Tourtiere pie!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 baking potato, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
Brown beef and pork with onion and garlic in a large skillet. Drain and stir in 3/4 cup water, celery, carrot, bouillon and bay leaf. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat; remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Stir potato, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg into skillet mixture, then spoon mixture into deep dish pie shell. In a small bowl combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water to make egg wash; brush edge of crust with wash, then carefully add top crust and seal edges. Make several slits in top crust; brush with remaining egg mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.