An easy salad to make with a bag of salad greens, pineapple, bacon bits, nuts and toasted coconut. Use fresh pineapple, if you can, and substitute toasted almonds for the macadamia nuts, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped and toasted macadamia nuts
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a cruet or jar with a lid, combine pineapple juice, red wine vinegar, oil, pepper and salt. Cover and shake well.
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, pineapple, macadamia nuts, green onions and bacon. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted coconut.