The time-consuming chore of peeling, pitting and slicing fresh mangoes - to say nothing of finding a ripe one - is reason enough to keep a can of perfectly ripe, prepared fruit in the pantry.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (15 ounce) can mangoes in light syrup, drained, reserving syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons rum or reserved mango syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 pint banana ice cream or other tropical flavor ice cream or sorbet
- 1/4 cup canned flaked coconut, toasted until golden in a 350 degrees F oven
In small bowl, combine mangoes, 2 tablespoons reserved mango syrup, crystallized ginger, rum and lemon juice.
Place scoops of the ice cream into 4 dessert dishes. Spoon mango mixture over ice cream. Sprinkle with coconut.
Canned pineapple chunks can be substituted for the mango. Experiment with various flavors of fruit ice cream or sorbet, too.