A one pot wonder of seared country style pork ribs, sauerkraut, carrots and apples with a touch of brown sugar and caraway.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound country style pork ribs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
- 1 medium red apple - cored and diced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook ribs, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides. Add wine (if using), water, caraway seeds, and brown sugar; stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in drained sauerkraut, apple, and carrots, and transfer to a large casserole dish.
Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours, adding water as needed to prevent drying out.