Tuna salad gets the all-star treatment when studded with tart apples, crunchy walnuts, crisp celery, and savory shallots, and served on SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 8 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices ripe tomato
In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, shallot, apple, walnuts, celery and pickle relish.
Lightly toast the bread. Place a lettuce leaf on 4 slices of bread, and spread tuna salad evenly over lettuce. Top with a slices of Swiss cheese and tomato, and then top each sandwich with remaining slices bread.
The original recipe, Darra's Famous Tuna Waldorf Salad Sandwich Filling, was submitted by Darra Mangahas, and contains 737 calories, 52.4 g fat, 100 mg cholesterol, 1016 mg sodium, 41.5 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g fiber, and 27 g protein.