Sauteed strips of turkey meat and a thick, mildly spicy sauce are layered with corn tortillas, cheese, and corn to ensure that every bite of this wonderful casserole is a hearty taste sensation! This is a free sample recipe of our Quick-Smart™ premi
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3/4 pound oven-roasted turkey breast, cut into 2- x 1/4-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Cherry tomato slices (optional)
Heat 3/4 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey; saute 1 minute. Add 3/4 teaspoon oregano, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, pepper, and 2 cloves garlic; saute 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup corn and onions, and saute 1 minute. Spoon into a bowl; stir in chopped cilantro. Set aside.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon oregano, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1 clove garlic; saute 1 minute. Add flour, chili powder, and cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, 1 minute. Gradually add water and broth to mixture, and cook, stirring constantly with whisk, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Pour sauce into a bowl; cover and set aside.
Brush remaining 1 teaspoon oil evenly over both sides of tortilla halves. Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 5 tortilla halves, and cook 30 seconds on each side or until softened. Remove from skillet; set aside, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining tortilla halves.
Arrange 5 tortilla halves in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup sauce over tortillas, and top with turkey mixture. Spoon 2/3 cup sauce over turkey mixture; top with remaining 5 tortilla halves. Spread remaining 2/3 cup sauce over tortillas; top with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup corn.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Cut into squares; serve with sour cream. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs and tomato.
Shortcuts to Casseroles:
Instead of chopping fresh onions and green peppers, buy them already chopped and frozen in plastic bags. You don't have to defrost them; just measure the amount you need right out of the bag. Spoon the remainder into a plastic freezer storage bag.
In recipes calling for cooked chicken, we tried a frozen product-fully cooked, ready-to-eat roasted chicken breast-and found it worked just fine. Or you can substitute cut-up leftover turkey.
Use jarred and canned sliced or chopped mushrooms in place of fresh mushrooms.Serving size: 1 square and 1 tablespoon sour cream. Calories 377 (28% from fat) Protein 35.7g Fat 11.6g (sat 3.4g) Carbohydrate 33.1g Fiber 4.3g Cholesterol 68mg Iron 3.8mg Sodium 424mg Calcium 248mg