This is a deliciously spicy, chunky stew. My husband loves this during the fall and winter with nice thick slices of fresh Italian bread. Goes over really well with snowmobilers!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- garlic powder to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (28 ounce) cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the turkey until evenly browned. Season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Drain, and transfer turkey to a large pot.
Mix the crushed tomatoes with liquid, whole tomatoes with liquid, kidney beans, and hot sauce into the pot. Stir in the green bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and season to taste with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Continue cooking 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or to desired consistency. If the stew is too thick, mix in some water.