Turnips are a beautiful root vegetable and add a lovely woodsy taste to this salad. They go perfectly with the green apples and pineapple chunks, and when the dressing is added, the whole salad comes alive.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 4 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 slices canned pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add turnips and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and cool.
In a large bowl, combine the turnips, green onions, apples, pineapple and sugar. Stir to evenly coat with the sugar.
Whisk together the oil, water, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over fruit and vegetables. Toss and refrigerate overnight.