Lindsay® black olives and cannellini beans lend fabulous flavor to this delicious Tuscan tradition. Hearty grilled Italian bread, fresh summer tomatoes, and fragrant basil, tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette, will bring Tuscan simplicity right into y
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 4 slices (1/2-inch thick) Italian bread, about 4 inches in diameter
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup drained Lindsay® Black Ripe Pitted Olives, halved if desired
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned great Northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, sliced (optional)
Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 clove garlic; brush over both sides of bread slices. Grill bread 2 to 3 minutes per side in a ridged grill pan or broil 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly toasted.
Reserve outer leaves of lettuce. Tear or chop enough of the inner leaves to measure 6 cups. In a large bowl, combine torn lettuce, olives, tomato and beans. Cut grilled bread into cubes; add to lettuce mixture. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons oil, remaining garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper; mix well. Add to lettuce mixture; toss well.
Arrange outer leaves of lettuce on four serving plates; top with salad. Sprinkle basil over salads, if desired.
Sliced grilled chicken may be served over the salad.