Similar to minestrone, this soup incorporates cooked shell pasta and kidney beans in chicken broth with spinach, tomatoes and red bell pepper for a low-fat meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans, cooked
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup seashell pasta
- ground black pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and saute for 3 more minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the thyme, spinach and pasta. Simmer for 5 more minutes and pepper to taste.