A quick and tasty chicken dish, cooked first on the stove with onions and mushrooms, then popped into the oven for a few minutes to melt cheese on top.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Wash chicken breasts, pat dry with paper towels, and cut each breast in half.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken briefly, turning until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, onions, and garlic, if using; cook until they are nice and soft, about 5 minutes.
Pour contents of both skillets into a baking dish, sprinkle cheese over the top, and bake about 5 minutes.