These open faced Ukrainian sandwiches are very easy to make and are really good. If you can find Eastern European style sausage then try it with that, otherwise use your favorite cold cuts. They are called 'Kanapki' in Ukrainian.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 loaves French bread, sliced
- 1 pound sliced sausage of your choice
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, butter and garlic. Spread some of this onto each slice of bread. Place a slice of sausage, cucumber, and tomato onto each piece of bread, then top each one with some chopped egg. Serve open-faced.