A stimulating rub for meat that is easily made with ingredients you probably already have. Excellent on porterhouse steaks, and pretty good on chicken and lamb.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee beans
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Preheat the oven broiler. Place the ground coffee on a sheet of aluminum foil, and place about 6 inches from the heat source. Broil for about 45 seconds, shaking the foil about every 10 seconds, or whenever you see smoke.
In a small bowl, stir together the coffee, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Rub into steaks, or pound in with a meat mallet. Grill as desired.