The filling - kidney beans and lots of celery, carrots, green pepper tomatoes, and onions flavored with chili pepper and vinegar. When this is hot and savory, spoon into hollowed out Kaiser rolls and dig in.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 kaiser rolls
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, green pepper, and garlic: saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, tomato paste, vinegar, and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in kidney beans, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Cut a 1/4 inch slice off the top of each kaiser roll; set aside. Hollow out the center of each roll, leaving about 1/2 inch thick shells; reserve the inside of rolls for other uses.
Spoon bean mixture evenly into rolls and replace tops. Serve immediately.