This has become my family's favorite desert at Thanksgiving, taking the place of pumpkin pie! Walnuts can be substituted for pecans.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a mixing bowl, blend pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, eggs and milk. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix and nuts over the batter. Pour melted butter over the cake.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 60 minutes and let cool. The cake will be "liquidy" at first, but will solidify as it cools.