A ham and lima bean dish that is baked in a casserole dish with a buttermilk and cornmeal batter poured over it. The crust is on top - hence the name 'Upside Down Supper'.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cubed ham
- 1 cup cooked lima beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup buttermilk baking mix
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, combine the ham, beans, corn, cheese, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and cover.
Bake, covered, at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a separate medium bowl, combine the buttermilk baking mix, cornmeal, egg and milk. Mix together well and pour over the ham mixture in the casserole dish.
Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 more minutes.