Vanilla extract combined with white wine, butter and shallots creates a delicate sauce with a slight kick from red pepper. This recipe was created by Chef Allen Susser to accompany Fennel Crusted Grouper.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into tablespoons
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Cayenne Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepan. Add shallots; Saute 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine, vinegar, vanilla, red pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
Gradually whisk in butter 1 tablespoon at a time. The butter must melt gradually to form a creamy sauce. If necessary, move pan off the heat to keep it from getting too hot. Continue whisking in the butter until well blended. If desired, strain through a fine sieve and hold warm until ready to serve.