If you are entertaining mixed palettes, this meal will satisfy all tastes. A from-scratch chili that uses many different vegetables as well as beans, lentils and tofu to provide that 'full' feeling that chili with meat offers. Add fresh parsley and basi
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 cup dry kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup dry white beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils, soaked overnight
- 6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup extra firm tofu, drained, crumbled
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- onion powder to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- chili powder to taste
Drain and rinse kidney beans, white beans and lentils. Combine in a large pot and cover with water; boil over medium-high to high heat for 1 hour, or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, combine tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until tomatoes are broken down.
Stir the tomatoes into the beans and add mushrooms, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, green beans, celery, onions and tofu. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder to taste. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until desired consistency is reached.