Lentils, squash, and coconut milk are the main ingredients in this creamy, delicious soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, and fenugreek until onion is tender.
Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.