Beef, bacon and vegetables are delicious in this chick pea minestrone.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 ounces spaghetti, broken into pieces
In a large saucepan, cook bacon and ground beef until well done, breaking up the beef as it cooks. Drain off the grease and add carrots, garlic, onion and celery. Season with the bay leaf, basil, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Stir in tomatoes and beef stock.
Simmer for about 20 minutes then put in the chickpeas and broken spaghetti. Cook covered, for about 10 minutes or until spaghetti is al dente. Remove the bay leaf before serving.