Beef stew meat is slowly simmered with tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, onion, chili powder and Worcestershire and then potatoes, carrots and celery are added at the end and cooked until just tender.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 6 cups water
- 1 (11.5 ounce) can tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
- 4 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
In a large pot over medium heat, melt lard. Cook beef in fat until brown on all sides; drain. Pour in water and tomato-vegetable juice cocktail. Stir in onion, Worcestershire, chili powder, salt and bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours.
Stir in carrots, celery and potatoes and cook 20 to 40 minutes more, until vegetables have reached the desired tenderness.